Cleaning around braces can be tricky business, but it doesn’t have to be overly difficult. The first thing you will want to do is to change the way you go about brushing your teeth. With the braces installed, it can be difficult to reach certain areas unless you change the toothbrush angle at which you approach them. It may seem awkward at first, but soon you will be able to reach all areas of your teeth and gums to ensure maximum efficiency with your brushing.
Here are some other things to keep in mind when caring for your smile in braces:
- Make sure to keep up the habit of attending your professional cleanings and oral exams with your dentist.
- Be sure to clean your retainer once a week.
- Do not miss your regularly scheduled appointments with our orthodontic team.
- Continue brushing your teeth twice a day, Also floss your teeth daily to prevent plaque buildup between hard to reach areas. Replace your toothbrush every three months.
- Brush your gumline at a 45-degree angle. Also be sure to brush all your teeth at the gumline and above and below the braces.
- Always rinse your mouth with water before brushing. This can loosen any debris that has gotten stuck in your braces.
The dentists at Affordable Dentistry and Orthodontics can craft you a customized plan to determine which orthodontics treatments work best for your needs. If you would like to schedule an appointment with Dr. Duane Taylor, please call us at 214-330-7771 to speak with a member of our team in Dallas, Texas. The smile you deserve is only an office visit away!